Cafe insurance is an umbrella service for all types of venues including franchise Cafes, Independent Cafe or Specialist ones which may or may not serve Alcohol and entertainment . Read our guide to the specifics that you need to be aware of, how you know you’re getting a good deal and what do you need to watch out for.
Cafe insurance is a specialist business insurance designed for Hospitality
venues and tailored to the risks that Cafe owners face.
Insuring a business is not quite as simple as insuring a car or household though so specialist insurers will take the time to understand the specifics of your Cafe by completing a ‘statement of fact’ to understand your risks. with the information we will be able to source your the right cover through our panel of insurers.
Insurers all class Cafes differently, but as a rule, they will put you into one of these categories. Given the requirement of increased footfall, the majority will be classed as ‘non-standard’ as most will have some sort of requirements of food and possibly entertainment or outside catering events etc.
- Independent Cafe
- Franchise Cafe
- Deli bar
- Sandwich Bar
- Specialist coffee houses
- Tea rooms
Standard – Food led, no entertainment and standard opening hours – 6am to 8pm.
Non-standard – Wet and food led, various entertainments to include Karaoke, Singers, Bands, DJ, any form of dancing, later opening hours usually 11am up to and including 1am.
Bespoke – Wet, food and entertainment led with heavy entertainment and late licenses with door staff and door charges. Heavy entertainment would include Discos/Bands with dancing facilities on a regular (weekly) basis with opening hours usually past 1am.
Building insurance for the Cafe is specifically to cover damage to the building. These days most Cafes are tenanted so building insurance will always be an optional cover (building insurance is the responsibility of the property owner). If you do own the building your broker will ask a series of questions that will help them understand the best way to insure the property.
Of course the building is nothing without the contents too. Contents insurance covers your contents including fixtures and fittings, equipment and stock against a range of perils including explosion, fire, storm damage, malicious damage and theft involving forcible and violent entry or exit from the premises. It also covers against the leakage of beer & beverages from pumped containers and subsequent damage to contents as well as a range of other perils specific to your trade.
Long-serving tenants/landlords and other residents of the buildings may also want to insurer their personal belongings on the same policy for ease. If you already have your personal contents insurance not to worry but discuss at the time of a quote as it may be cheaper for you to combine the two.
– essential protection against circumstances where you don’t have a licence to sell alcohol. This could be a refusal to renew a licence that you have had for some time or a situation arising that results in the forfeiture of the licence.
– Contents insurance covers your fixtures and fittings, equipment and stock against a range of perils including explosion, fire, storm damage, malicious damage and theft involving forcible and violent entry or exit from the premises.
– under a Cafe policy this is split between Alcohol and non Alcohol stock at your premises which can be insured for all events such as Fire, Theft or escape of water incidents to name a few
– covers the consequential loss of income a business may experience following an insured
and unexpected event – such as a fire.
Simply put the if you have a claim such as a Fire or Escape of Water its not just your property which needs to be repaired, you could have a loss of revenue during this time.
Business Interruption protects your financial loss until your fully back up and running
– Along with money held on your premises, it can include cash at home as well as cash in transit in vehicles or carried in person. It can also cover the loss of crossed cheques, credit company sales vouchers and other non-negotiable forms of payment.
– This cover can provide up to £10,000,000 for sums you become legally liable to pay as damages, together with your legal costs and expenses relating to an injury to an employee for which you are legally liable.
Slips, trips and spilt drinks. – This is one of the most common causes of accident in a Cafe and is exactly the reason why liability insurance is so important.
– This provides cover of up to £5,000,000 for sums you become legally liable to pay in respect of accidental injury to any person or accidental loss or damage to their material property happening in the course of your business or caused by the nature or condition of anything sold or supplied by your business.
– This is to help with legal fees if legal action is taken out against you, or if you need to take legal action against other people in certain circumstances e.g.) employment disputes or clinical negligence. Legal cover is not usually found as a standard policy feature but can be requested as an optional add on to your policy. As with all optional extras they are not deemed essential or legal requirements, an adviser can discuss with you the costs and levels you might be interested in.
Tips on what helps obtain the best price for your Cafe insurance
– This provides additional security to you premises which insurers see as a positive and will attract a discount with some insurers.
– Insurers see this as both a deterrent to thieves and also reduces the time they would have on your promises which reduces the potential cost of a loss if they do gain access, depending on the type of alarm insurers will provide an additional discount.
– A major element of the rating for all insurers is the number of years you have run the business, this provides them with a level of comfort regarding your trading experience and the pattern of claims.
– industry accreditation is looked upon favourable to by some insurers, a discount is sometimes available as they see that you are holding yourself up to the industry standard.
Every Cafe risk is different so you need to make sure that the Cafe insurance policy you select is tailored to you, some of the key elements which may invalidate your policy are
– This is the biggest misconception when insuring a licensed venue. Get it wrong and it could even void your whole cover. Extra equipment and customers, later opening and all the other variables make more risk, and for this reason insurers expect to know what they are covering. Always discuss your plans with your insurer to be sure you’re not leaving yourself un-protected against the risks.
– Insurance for a dance floor can be difficult to find for certain venues. This is because often good value packaged polices are not focused on night clubs and you will have to rely on the expertise of your broker knowing where to look for quality cover that remains affordable. For this reason never assume you are covered if you venue has any kind of designated dance floor.
– Having door staff is never a legal requirement although there may be a licensing requirement set by your local council. All door staff should be SIA registered and even if your door staff are supplied by a firm you should in the very least make your insurer aware you have them.
More than just insurance
In the Hospitality industry, non-compliance of the various laws and regulations can have some serious consequences. We make sure cover is in place should something go wrong but ultimately, we don’t want to see anything go wrong in the first place. If you have a claim then we have partnered with the experts to help get you back up and running as soon as possible
-We believe that our customers deserve more when it comes to support in the event of a claim. Although the actual claim will be handled by the insurance company, we believe that it is important for you to have the correct advice, therefore we have partnered with CEC to provide expert loss adjuster assistance. Once notified of your claim, we will contact CEC Claims and within 24 hours of notification to them, a professionally qualified Loss Adjuster will be personally assigned to your claim.
Your Loss Adjuster will then provide you with practical advice to help you in attending on site to meet with your Insurers or their representatives, compiling, presenting, negotiating the claim and verifying your loss. Managing risks associated with any business situation from which a potential claim to your insurers may arise. Gathering evidence to defend liability claims against you successfully. Taking measures to secure and make your premises safe. Mitigating your loss and salvaging any undamaged items. Minimising any disruption to you or your business/home.
Alternative product options offering enhanced levels of support hours are available as an upgrade option. Please don’t hesitate to ask for details: Platinum (Unlimited hours service with a mandatory post loss fee payable).
Cafe Insurance from MOBI
We are proud of the service we provide our customers and can provide you with the right cover at a competitive price through our panel of insurers.
Use our online option or speak to one of our team on 03334449247, you have everything to gain and nothing to lose. Make MOBI the Cafe insurance broker for you.